About the book
The first chapters treat in successive order the physical backgrounds, the measurement apparatuses, the quantities and units used in radiation protection, the hazards of ionising radiation, and the measures that are already taken by the Dutch Government and the formulas to assess your own dose.
In the Chapters 9, 10 and 11 the authors describe the measures the worker himself can take for sealed sources and X-ray equipment, for open sources and for medical applications.
The new Chapter 11 describes practical radiation hygiene in a medical setting. This chapter is intended for employees who do not get information about radiation protection during their education, such as medical specialists (not radiologists), nurses, medical receptionists, research workers and technical support personnel.
In this book the rules and regulations as from February 2018 are described, when the new radiation protection basic safety standards `Euratom Directive` was implemented in the Dutch law.
This book is a translation of the Dutch publication Praktische stralingshygiëne, ISBN 9789491764295.
- Structure of the atom and decay
- Applications and decay products
- Interaction of radiation with matter and shielding of radiation
- Radiation detection
- Quantities and units in radiation protection
- Biological effects and risks of radiation
- The regulations
- Dosimetry in practice
- Sealed sources and X-ray equipment for non-medical applications
- Safety measures for open sources
- Radiation protection in medical applications